Home Sport In the Clubhouse: Trampolining

In the Clubhouse: Trampolining

191
Photo: University of Exeter Trampolining Club

I’m sure you’ve all heard of trampolining, it’s that thing you do at home on the garden trampoline right? Well no, not exactly. Trampolining is a competitive sport (although many people just take part for fun) and became part of the Olympics in 2000.

The University club was founded in 2002, starting out with just one trampoline and a small group of people. This soon expanded and by 2006, the club had acquired three trampolines, 85 members and a nomination for AU Club of the Year. Since then the club has gone from strength to strength, making it what it is today.

Training takes place three times a week with the sessions held on Wednesdays (3.30-6pm), Fridays (5-7.30pm) and Sundays (3-6pm) in St Luke’s Sports Hall.

These sessions are varied and relaxed, enabling members to choose what they want to practise, and how often they want to get on the trampoline.

This can involve learning individual moves and tricks, as well as routines for competitions (a set of ten continuous moves).

The club has three fantastic coaches who give all members encouragement and support to learn new moves or skills at the pace they feel comfortable.

The club has members right from novice up to elite, so all abilities are welcome and encouraged to join.

This year the club is part of the Southern Universities Trampoline League (SUTL), which involves the team travelling to Bath and Southampton later in the year to compete against other Universities from the South.

The club will also be heading to Sheffield for BUCS and not forgetting Plymouth for the annual Varsity match.

Competitions typically take place over a weekend, with a social on the Saturday night (including a big fancy dress theme!), and competition on the Sunday.

Members complete two routines, one of which is set by the host club and the other is a voluntary routine which you can make up yourself.

These events are open to all members of the club and although entered as individuals, everyone is very supportive and synchronised competitions are also offered to add a team element.

Competitions are a great way to get involved with the club, and to get to know fellow trampolinists from all over the UK!

The club took part in their first competition of the term last weekend in Bristol (also part of SUTL), with 19 of their members competing with over 350 competitors from many different universities.

Exeter brought home a silver medal in the inter-advanced men’s category and two other competitors finished in the top ten of their categories.

A ‘best back landing of the day’ was also given to their captain! Last year was also a very successful one for the club, with a win for the second year running in the annual varsity against Plymouth as well as many medals in other competitions.

Outside of training and competing, EUTC like to get together for socials, be it a fancy dress night out, a pub quiz, or a casual night in relaxing and watching a film together!

Their big socials of the year include the infamous Topsham Ten, an annual summer boat party, and numerous competition socials where everyone gets involved with fancy dress.

The club also organises a 100 mile walk every year to fundraise for both the club and a charity of their choice. This involves walking 100 miles over four days (almost a marathon a day!), ending back in Exeter. It is an amazing, albeit challenging, experience with many memorable moments.

Feel free to come down to training, and have a bounce! You can also find them on Facebook (Exeter Trampolining) and on Twitter (@ExeterTramps).