Home News Community Action put on Christmas events

Community Action put on Christmas events

208
Image credit: Exeter Guild
Image credit: Exeter Guild

The University of Exeter voluntary organisation Community Action is spreading Christmas cheer and raising money for its projects this week with a range of festive events.

A stall has been based in the Forum since Monday and will be there until Thursday 5 December, encouraging students to place good deeds on a Christmas tree and take part in some ‘5 minute volunteering’ by writing cards for elderly and homeless Exeter residents. There will also be the opportunity to take part in a raffle with prizes including a six week personal trainer program and vouchers for the restaurants On the Waterfront and Cote.

The week will culminate on Saturday 7 December with a Community based celebration called ‘Together for Christmas’. This will involve local schoolchildren and elderly residents coming onto campus for a variety of festive activities and games. There will also be a performance from student musical theatre society Footlights as they preview their upcoming West Side Story show. The week will complete a successful term for the organisation with a number of new projects and a record-breaking membership of over 1500.

Lorna Girt, Community Action Christmas Week Co-Ordinator, said: “Community Action’s Cracking Christmas Week is the perfect way to get in the festive mood and kick-start the Guild’s Twelve Days of Christmas. In our raffle we have loads of fantastic prizes and our 5-minute volunteering campaign ‘Get on Santa’s Good List’ is all about spreading Christmas cheer through little acts of kindness and good deeds. Come and find us in the Forum!”

Simon Dewhurst, News Team