Home Arts & Lit West Side Story: Bernardo

West Side Story: Bernardo

1823

Footlights’ weekly column gives us a snapshot into what is happening in the run up to ‘West Side Story’, their Northcott show.

This week’s Footlights Column introduces Will Moore who plays the leading Puerto Rican Shark; Bernardo.

Will Moore as Bernardo and Eoin McAndrew as Riff Image credit: Sam Loyd
Will Moore as Bernardo and Eoin McAndrew as Riff
Image credit: Sam Loyd

Will Moore who plays Bernardo Image credit: Sam Loyd
Will Moore who plays Bernardo
Image credit: Sam Loyd

A note from our Musical Director, Jack Campey:

As musical director of West Side Story, my main job in this role is to source, rehearse and conduct the pit orchestra and cast for the show. The show now has a band and my word they are a ridiculously talented bunch of 30 musicians. These guys are the best at the university and I wouldn’t be exaggerating if I said the surrounding area as well. After only two rehearsals, we are sounding top class and I can’t wait for opening night. The music for the show is somewhat legendary with so many songs being recognised all over the world. That doesn’t mean to say that the show is dated, no not at all! The show and the music never get old. Bernstein did an ingenious job of making the music timeless. Hence a new national production is touring right now, though (without being cocky) ours is actually looking and sounding so much better!

Next week meet the guy who plays DOC.

West Side Story coming to Exeter Northcott Theatre in Janaury 2014, for more updates and show news like us on Facebook here and follow us on Twitter @FootlightsUoE.

Katie Turner

Click here for all Footlights column posts.

Visit the University of Exeter’s Arts and Culture website here.