Home Arts & Lit Kaleider Launch Party

Kaleider Launch Party

209

Exepose Arts attended Kaleider’s launch party, at ASK by Exeter Cathedral, to get a taste of the many exciting projects in action this winter.

Entering the Kaleider launch party, there was such an array of friendly faces and interesting looking displays that it was difficult to decide where to begin. I have never seen such a diverse selection of psychologically fascinating endeavours, all of them sharing an interactive aspect. Below I outline the projects we were introduced to; from the ghostly relics of a beautiful dancer, to global parkour, each offered a taste of art which was simultaneously unique, intriguing and sensually engaging.

Ariel

Image credit: Kaleider.com
Image credit: Kaleider.com

Alice Tatton-Brown’s part installation, part audio walk, part performance was hosted in Exeter Central Library in October. Alice unearthed a set of photos in a junk shop,  all depicting the same mysterious woman throughout her entire life. Becoming infatuated with the story of this striking dancer, whose image had been compiled in a kind of tribute by her husband, Alice delved into the history and set out to discover who Ariel was. When Alice showed me copies of the photographs I was haunted by their bygone beauty and stirred by the echoes of the love through which they had been documented. This exploration of the past leads us to question our preoccupation with photography, the persistence of memory and the ways in which we interpret the relics which others have left behind.

The Money

Image credit: Kaleider.com
Image credit: Kaleider.com

The Money took place in Exeter Guildhall on November 26 and 28. The audience are given real money and two hours to decide how to spend it, if they don’t come to a decision before the time is up then the money rolls on to the next group of Benefactors. This bold experiment is a study into decision making, interaction amongst strangers and economic preoccupation.

Running out of time

Kelly Miller’s project was my personal favourite, especially in terms of audience involvement. Running out of time is an exploration, through parkour, of the way in which the female body uses its space and surroundings. Anyone, in any worldwide location, can get involved. Participants email sheruns@runningoutoftime.co.uk and then receive an audio file of instructions to be be followed simultaneously, from any starting point, by a pair. One person runs and the other follows behind filming. The videos are then broadcasted alongside one another, giving a global sense of the human body’s trajectory through space, place and time.

Fruit Routes (Eat your Campus)

Eat your campus at Loughborough University Image credit: fruitroutesloughborough.wordpress.com
Eat your campus at Loughborough University
Image credit: fruitroutesloughborough. wordpress. com

Anne Marie Culhane is working with the University of Exeter’s Arts and Culture team, along with as Art Society, to create this edible venture on Streatham Campus. Between now and April 2015 Anne Marie will install the fruit routes by planting edible trees and plants, inducing the perfect habitat for foraging. Although I felt slightly dubious when offered a squidgy looking sample of a homemade fruity sweet, it tasted good and I think the project overall is an excellent way of engaging with our sense of taste, as well as with our surrounding natural environment.

Where to build the walls that protect us

Stephen Hodge’s alternative project, which took place between September 28 and November 9, involves exploratory excursions which lasted up to six hours. Through these walks Stephen aimed for an exercise in “serious play” which imagined a future model of the city of Exeter. His outings drew attention locally to global issues such as climate change and the persistent fiscal crisis.

Image credit: Kaleider.com
Image credit: Kaleider.com

When I first glimpsed a list of the projects I initially thought that they were ambitious in their obscurity, and was unsure of how effective they would be in reality. After discussing each endeavor at length with the artists, watching demonstrations and finding out more I left feeling impressed by the power of every single one. The art I saw presented was innovative in the way it entirely demolished the distinction between artist and viewer, it was engaging in the way it stimulated senses beyond the visual, and it was of a profound contemporary relevance, exploring humanity in relation to our surroundings.

Kaleider are a company with a difference, they “work with people from all sorts of backgrounds to design, produce and promote live experiences.” Whilst often on a local scale, the projects they support engage with wider global issues including climate change and the human interaction with the space we inhabit. They work closely with University of Exeter Arts and Culture, alongside the Met Office, putting “science and research at the heart of the artistic process.” To find out more, or to look at any of the projects in more detail, visit their website here.

Giverny Masso