Theatre Buddy Scheme

Theatre Buddy Scheme

80

First outing is this Saturday December 7.

Student volunteers from Theatre Goers Society are working with local care home Woodhayes Brendoncare to support elderly residents by helping them attend a matinee performance at Exeter Northcott Theatre this Saturday.

The innovative scheme was developed by the University of Exeter Student’s Guild in collaboration with the Northcott Theatre and Woodhayes Brendoncare.

Image credit: Exeter Northcott Theatre
Image credit: Exeter Northcott Theatre

The outing on December 7 is hoped to be the first of many similar excursions, which will see students entertain local elderly residents with a shared interest in the arts.

Rebecca Williams, co-president of the Theatre Goers Society with Oliver Cook, said: “I’m really excited that we’ve been able to establish the Theatre Buddy scheme. The volunteers from the Theatre Goers Society and the residents from Woodhayes Brendoncare both share a love of performance, and it is fantastic to have the opportunity to enable the residents to experience the theatre once again.”

“It isn’t just about our volunteers helping the elderly, but also about the residents sharing their past theatrical experiences with us. Each group will benefit enormously from joining forces to enjoy the theatre together.”

Vanessa Langley, Activities & Volunteer Co-ordinator commented: “Many of our residents will not have had a theatre visit for years so to have this opportunity of a younger ‘buddy’ to go with them to Exeter Northcott Theatre is a chance not to be missed.”

The Extraordinary Adventures of Mr Benn showing at the Northcott from Wednesday December 11 Image credit: Exeter Northcott Theatre
The Extraordinary Adventures of Mr Benn showing at the Northcott from Wednesday December 11
Image credit: Exeter Northcott Theatre

“We rarely celebrate the potential for people to be healthy and active into old age nor the volunteering contributions that young people make. Our thanks go to the students who are giving up their time to volunteer.”

Kate Tyrell, executive director of the Northcott theatre said: “The Northcott Theatre provides theatre for everyone in our community and this project is a fantastic way to bring together audience members from different generations to develop new relationships through the enjoyment of a classic play.”

Giverny Masso