3,000 expected for ECU carol service

3,000 expected for ECU carol service

251
Image credit: Exeter University Evangelical Christian Union

The University of Exeter’s Evangelical Christian Union are expecting a record attendance of over 3,000 people at their annual Christmas Carol Service.

This year’s service will be held at St James’ Park Stadium on 9 December, and is open to all, whether ECU member, student or local.

Complimentary mince pies are available  upon arrival, as well as having their carolling backed by The Salvation Army, who are back by popular demand to provide accompaniment.

Amongst performances from Soul Choir, Newton Primary School, Sweet Nothings and Semi-Toned, the service will also feature various readings from Guild President, Hannah Barton, Deputy A and V Manager, Joy Taylor, and the Mayor.

The main speech of the evening, however, will be given by Graham Daniels. The ex-professional footballer and current head of nationwide organisation ‘Christians in Sport’ will be giving a speech entitled “Christmas Revolution”. Will Holt, President of ECU, claims: “He is a very energetic and animated Welsh speaker, and will no doubt bring Christmas cheer to the evening”.

In 2002, ECU staged their very first Christmas Carol Service in the Great Hall, with a capacity of 800, whereas the first year in the stadium drew a crowd of 2,200, and this figure continues to grow today, standing at around 3,000 and affording it the title of largest carol service in the South West. Brewster maintains that this is due to Harrower’s “hunger to make the gospel known in the city, and perseverance in going ahead despite my nervousness”.

Rachael Gillies, Faith Executive for the Students’ Guild, said: “[The ECU Carol Service] is a wonderful way to bring students and community together and to share in some Christmas cheer!”

Fiona Potigny, News Team

Exeposé News Editor 2015/16. All about that scoop, with a mega love of all that is culture, current affairs, fashion, feminism, philology... and FOIs. Puns make me very, very happy.