Home News EXCLUSIVE: SSB successor revealed

EXCLUSIVE: SSB successor revealed

279
Image credit: RAG Exeter
Image credit: RAG Exeter

Exeposé can exclusively reveal that the official replacement for the Safer Sex Ball (SSB) will take place next term.

The brand new event will not resemble the Safer Sex Ball, after the legendary fundraiser was cancelled earlier this year. The inaugural ‘Prohibition Ball’ will take place in Exeter Phoenix on 7 February and will act as RAG’s headline event for the academic year.

Exeposé understands that the theme, often the most anticipated and controversial part of the former SSB,will be based on prohibition in the 1920s, with a distinctly “underground” feel.

The ball will remain centred around a headliner and various performances throughout the evening, with RAG apparently keen on involving as many student societies as possible. The headliner is yet to be confirmed.

When approached by Exeposé, Laura Yonish, RAG’s Events Officer, said: “I can confirm that RAG are putting on a headline event on 7 February at the Exeter Phoenix. We’re really excited about this, it has all the components of a fantastic event and we cannot wait to reveal more in the coming weeks. We’re very focused on creating a legacy for the new era of RAG and we hope that this event will continue a wonderfully successful year for the society”.

The Safer Sex Ball was cancelled by the Students’ Guild in February, following concerns around student welfare and significant negative national media coverage. Two Guild staff were fired after distributing CCTV footage of two students performing a sex act in the Ram during the ball. The ball also received accusations of racism for its tribal theme, with students and staff signing a petition to have the theme changed. Before its cancellation, the ball had been running for twenty-one years, regularly raising more than £20,000 for its chosen charities, including the Eddystone Trust, a local charity that supports AIDS sufferers.

Exeposé reported in February that RAG were concerned that the loss of such a high profile event would result in poor turnout and less money for the nominated charities. Exeposé understands that the budget for The Prohibition Ball is significantly smaller than that of the SSB.

As a new event, the ball will have a capacity of 500 as opposed to the 2,000 of last year’s SSB. Tickets will cost £25, with 100 early bird tickets available at £20. This is significantly more friendly on the student budget than last year’s tickets, which were priced at £42, with VIP tickets for £60.

There is no chosen charity for The Prohibition Ball. All proceeds from the event will go to RAG’s nominated charities for 2013/14: Devon Freewheelers, Rainbow’s Trust, Concern Universal and Community Action. RAG have raised £40,037.91 so far this term.

Jak Curtis-Rendall, VP Participation and Campuses, commented: “RAG has done an outstanding job so far this year, raising a phenomenal amount of money for its chosen charities. I am confident that the committee will apply their proven skills to the Prohibition Ball and turn this new event into a huge success”.

Jon Jenner, Editor