Review: The Polar Express

Review: The Polar Express

303

Throw away Love Actually, sod It’s a Wonderful Life, Thomas Davies says we should all be watching The Polar Express this Christmas.

Image credit: Collider
Image credit: Collider

Do you remember when you were younger and you were anxiously going to bed waiting for Santa to come down the chimney and deliver all your presents? Do you remember what that felt like? That’s the kind of feeling I get when I watch The Polar Express – for it’s a film that brings back the great part of Christmas: the feeling of it.

It’s a really simple story. A skeptical boy (Daryl Sabara) is whisked away on a train to the North Pole to visit Santa himself (Tom Hanks). His adventures on the train, from delivering a lost ticket to rescuing his friend are a joy to watch and they certainly excite. The beautiful visuals help to transform the landscape from a train ride into a breath-taking experience.

What’s great about The Polar Express is that it isn’t abstract or satirical as some other Christmas films are; it’s a true Christmas story in the old-fashioned sense of the word. It takes you away from reality and lets your inner child come out.

It’s this magic that makes it all the more poignant. The character of Billy, a child who has never had Christmas, is heart-breaking in this film. It reminds us what Christmas could and should be; gathering around with friends and family, celebrating for one day of the year, hearing carols ring out, the simple joy of knowing somebody cares. That’s what I call Christmas.

It’s not a film that is on everybody’s Christmas watch list, but The Polar Express is a fantastic film. It encapsulates the best of the Christmas spirit by bringing the magic of this special holiday and letting you embrace it. Escape from family feuds, commercialism, finances and board The Polar Express, you won’t regret it.

Thomas Davies

What’s your classic Christmas flick? Let us know on FacebookTwitter or by commenting below.