Home News Police warnings over drink-driving

Police warnings over drink-driving

218

Devon & Cornwall Police WJ55AGODevon And Cornwall police are running their annual campaign to warn people of the potential consequences of drink-driving.

The ‘What Will Your Drink Cost You?’ campaign is being run in association with a Plymouth University student who was convicted of drink-driving last November. The student said: “Drink driving had a catastrophic impact on every part of my life – my university placement, my finances, my relationships and my independence”.

The Plymouth man had elected to drive home after a night out in order to avoid a £25 parking fine. He was caught by police, found to be three times over the drink-drive limit, and banned from driving for 12 months.

As part of this year’s operation, officers will be increasing the frequency of roadside checks in early mornings and at night, in a bid to deter reckless driving over the festive season.

Chris Rootkin, VP Welfare & Community, said: “I urge all students to consider their own safety and that of others over the Christmas period. Drink driving is a serious offence that costs lives. If you are going to drink, leave the car at home and encourage your friends to do the same. It simply isn’t worth running the risk of losing your license or picking up a criminal record”.

Inspector Richard Pryce, Head of Roads Policing, said: “If convicted of drink driving you will have a criminal record, lose your licence and potentially your livelihood; you could spend time in prison and receive a hefty fine. Convictions can also significantly increase insurance premiums and prevent travel to certain countries. More importantly they risk causing a death or serious injury on the roads”.

Police and Crime Commissioner Tony Hogg said: “I want everyone to enjoy Christmas and I know for many that involves drinking alcohol but if that is the case don’t drink and drive. The implications are high and the cost of a taxi ride might just be the best thing you buy this Christmas”.

The Force campaign is part of a national initiative launched by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO).

Helen Carrington, News Team