Arts Recommend: Winter photography, an opportunity to work alongside industry professionals, and...

Arts Recommend: Winter photography, an opportunity to work alongside industry professionals, and more …

220

Every week we bring you our special selection of all things arty. From interesting websites to highly anticipated performances for your diary, there is something to spark all kinds of creative interest.

1. Twenty stunning Winter wonderland photos

Marcin Ryczek via Demilked
Marcin Ryczek via Demilked

This article on Demilked gathers 20 inspiring winter landscapes; “even if you hate the cold, you’ve got to admit that winter is a stunningly beautiful season.” All the photographs are breathtaking, and we particularly like the snowy deer and the three geese. View all of the photos and the full article here on Demilked.

2. Shortlist revealed for Artes Mundi Prize

Omer Fast 'explores the ways in which a memory is recounted' Image credit: Omer Fast via BBC Arts and Culture
Omer Fast ‘explores the ways in which a memory is recounted’
Image credit: Omer Fast via BBC Arts and Culture

The Artes Mundi is a Cardiff-based prize for contemporary arts which is awarded every two years. The £40,000 prize will be awarded on January 22 2015 midway through a 17 week exhibition at Wales’ National Museum of Art. Read more here in the BBC article.

3. Opportunity to work as an actor or backstage alongside industry professionals in ‘Jerusalem’

Image credit: Common Players
Image credit: Common Players

Common Players in association with Exeter Northcott Theatre are seeking new and aspiring professionals and skilled amateurs alike to perform in Jez Butterworths’ play Jerusalem in Devon, May and June 2014.

“It’s an opportunity for new and aspiring professionals and skilled amateurs alike. The lively characters in the play are mostly in their 20’s and 50’s. And this offer is not just for actors, we are also offering people keen to work backstage and in other supporting roles, the chance to hone their skills working alongside industry professionals.”

“All participants will get significant exposure to professional practice and a real developmental challenge.We are now accepting interest and applications from people of all walks of life to take up voluntary roles that include Actors, Wardrobe Assistants, an Assistant Director, Assistant Stage Managers, Set Construction Assistants, and Technical Assistants.”

Details about all of these roles and how to apply can be found here on the project website. Make sure you do not miss the deadline of Monday January 13 2014.

Contact Sophie McCormack at S.M.McCormack@exeter.ac.uk with any questions about how to take part and come along to the Exeter Northcott Theatre on Thursday 9 January at 7pm for more information and to meet the creative team.

4. The Salvador Dali Elimination game

Enjoying your much needed relaxation time from essay deadlines and term-time rush? Do something unproductive for once, and play this fun Salvador Dali elimination game. It’s pretty simple, but really addictive.

“Move Salvador Dali paintings via free paths to make horizontal, vertical or diagonal rows of the same painting. Rows of five or more of the same painting are eliminated and increase your score. Each move lowers your score one point, and each remaining painting lowers your score 10 points.”

Click here to play.

5. Beautiful time-lapse winter video

This video depicts the interaction of the wildlife with Winter, and the effect of Winter upon the landscape. It was shot in the Dutch nature reserve ‘the Oostvaardersplassen’ during one of the coldest Winters in Holland.

Winter from Paul Klaver on Vimeo.

Giverny Masso and Bryony James

Click here for last week’s Arts Recommend.

Visit the University of Exeter Arts and Culture website here.