Over £40k raised by RAG this term

Over £40k raised by RAG this term

289
Image credit: Josh Irwandi
Image credit: Josh Irwandi

RAG has recently announced a fundraising total of £40,037.91 for this year after numerous fundraising events throughout the term. This total also places Exeter RAG third on the university leader board behind Queen Mary’s Belfast and the University of Oxford.

Numerous events organised by RAG have taken place this term and contributed towards the current total. Major activities such as The Amsterdam Hitch Hike, in aid of Amnesty International, and Movember, the total for which currently stands at £12,808, have raised large sums of money for the society whilst regular events including raffles, pub quizzes and a seasonal Christmas Market have also contributed to the total.
President of RAG, Henry Bowles, commented: “I’m thrilled with the total so far, everyone on committee has done a fantastic job. Look out for even more great events next term. We will be celebrating our successes at the first annual Exeter RAG Awards on Saturday 22nd March”.
RAG are the largest student group on campus who each year raise money for three nominated charities as well as various other charitable causes such as Children In Need. The nominated charities this year are Devon Freewheelers – a local charity which funds an emergency courier service for the NHS – national charity The Rainbow Trust and international development charity Concern Universal who tackle poverty in the poorest international communities.
Imogen Bodimeade, RAG Officer, said: “We are really happy with the total so far and hope that we can continue the success into next term. Personally I’m just really impressed with the committee this year and the total reflects their hard work and dedication. Furthermore the total itself wouldn’t be possible without students who have given their money and come to our events. This money will no doubt be important to the charities we have supported and we’re proud to know that we are going to hopefully make a difference to charities based locally, nationally and internationally”.
Josephine Watts, a third year Engineering student commented:“I think it’s really impressive that RAG have raised so much money through their exciting events this term. The recent Christmas Market was really fun, festive and a great way to raise money for such worthy causes. I’m sure their total will increase even more next term”.
Sponsorship from major events such as the Kilimanjaro Hike, Gorilla Trek and Movember is still coming in meaning that the current total of £40,037.91 will inevitably increase in the coming months combined with the variety of fundraising activities and events RAG are set to organise in 2014.
Emily Tanner, Deputy Editor