Home Arts & Lit Arts Recommend: Duplicity, Christmas jumper craft idea, the most fashionable Christmas trees,...

Arts Recommend: Duplicity, Christmas jumper craft idea, the most fashionable Christmas trees, and more …

308

Every week we bring you our special selection of all things arty. From interesting websites to highly anticipated performances for your diary, there is something to spark all kinds of creative interest.

1.Duplicity @ the Bike Shed

Image credit: Substance and Shadow Theatre

As part of the 2013 From Devon With Love festival, Duplicity is ‘set against the volatile backdrop of the Punk Rock explosion’ in London, 1977.

Exploring themes of identity, duality and deceit, the play “follows the journey of identical twins, Tommy and Finn, as their sense of self and reality disintegrates into a maelstrom of anarchy, chaos and disorder.”

Substance and Shadow Theatre’s previous play Skin Deep (read our review here) was a big success, with sell-out performances at The Bike Shed Theatre at the previous From Devon With Love festival and the 2013 Ignite festival – so Duplicity is definitely worth checking out.

Showing at The Bike Shed on Friday January 17 and Saturday January 18 2014 at 8.30pm. Tickets cost £10, or £8 for concessions and can be bought on 01392 434 169 or at www.bikeshedtheatre.co.uk.

Also showing in the Clifford room at The Barnfield Theatre on Friday February 14 and Saturday February 15 2014 at 8.00pm. Tickets can be bought on 01392 270 891 or at www.barnfieldtheatre.org.uk.

Image credit: New Look via the Metro
Image credit: New Look via the Metro

2. Top ten Christmas jumpers

Christmas jumpers are more popular than ever this year, and we love them. Read the full Metro article here to see all ten jumpers, from the ‘touchy-feely one’ to the ‘all-in-one’ you have every style of jumper covered.

Also look out for some of the best Christmas jumpers in Exeter when we release the results of our Christmas jumper Instagram competition.

3. Christmas Jumper Craft Idea

Do you have a Christmas jumper you don’t want to wear anymore? Perhaps it shrank, or got too many holes in it, or you just feel like it needs a new purpose in life. Then why not make it into a Christmas cushion! This Red Ted Art blog post tells you exactly how, click here to read.

4. The most fashionable Christmas trees

'The Arty Tree' Image credit: Helen and Colin David via The Metro
‘The Arty Tree’
Image credit: Helen and Colin David via The Metro

“You can largely forget the traditional green tree with multi-coloured tinsel and baubles. This year, let your imagination run wild. Here’s a run-down of the most fashionable firs around for Christmas 2013.”

We love this Metro article showing some of the latest fashions in Christmas tree. We like the Hipster Tree, and the Afternoon Tea Tree but our favourite is obviously The Arty Tree, pictured above: “Head down to London’s V&A museum over Christmas to see the specially commissioned red tree which sits in the grand entrance. Designed by artists Helen and Colin David, the creation is entitled ‘Red Velvet Tree of Love’. Forget red velvet cupcakes; it’s all about red velvet trees these days.”

To see all the trees read the full article here on The Metro.

5. ‘In my Christmas Jammies’

You’ll either love this or hate it, but either way it is 100% worth watching. Rather than sending out Christmas cards, or even a newsletter as they usually do, the Holderness family made a Christmas video. The video involves questionable rapping, some interesting dancing, and hilarious lyrics. The song has gone viral, becoming an internet hit with its own Twitter hashtag #xmasjammies.

Giverny Masso and Bryony James

Click here for last week’s Arts Recommend.

Visit the University of Exeter Arts and Culture website here.