Home News Exeter mathematician crowned UK’s brightest student

Exeter mathematician crowned UK’s brightest student

221
Image credit: University of Exeter
Image credit: University of Exeter

After winning a national competition, second-year mathematician Emily Burton has been crowned the UK’s best and brightest student. She saw off competition from over 4,000 students across 149 universities nationwide in winning the National Student Challenge 2013. Her prize for winning is a paid internship with leading global engineering and technology services company Siemens.

A record-breaking 4,332 students studying a range of undergraduate disciplines entered the National Student Challenge 2013. An initial online assessment had to be completed by entrees. The 60 students with the highest scores were subsequently invited to take part in the final tests at the Crystal Building in London. They were drawn against each other in a series of demanding tests. Emily participated in a variety of practical tests which included individual and group exercises as a means of testing her decision making, communication and business awareness. For the first time, the winner and runners up of the 2013 Challenge were all female.

Emily said: “I entered the National Student Challenge having received an email from TargetJobs. I thought taking the tests would be a great way to practice for similar job and internship application tests. I’m ecstatic to have won and am really looking forward to my internship with Siemens.”

In response to finding fame on campus, she admitted: “My housemates mentioned finding it strange seeing my face on the University homepage every time they tried to log on to revise.”

The University’s Professor Ken Evans said: “This is a wonderful achievement and we are absolutely delighted for Emily. To make the finals against some of the brightest students in the country was a success in itself, to emerge as the winner is a real credit to Emily’s confidence, belief and hard work. It is thoroughly deserved and we are all extremely proud of her success”.

Conor Byrne, News Team