Home News Exeter psychologist named in top 100 scientists

Exeter psychologist named in top 100 scientists

306
Image credit: University of Exeter
Image credit: University of Exeter

A psychologist from the University of Exeter has been named in the top 100 UK scientists, in a list drawn up by the Science Council.

Charles Abraham, who specialises in behaviour change and is also a practising health psychologist, was given the accolade as one of ten in the ‘teacher scientist’ category.

Professor Abraham said: “It’s an honour to be included in this list and I am especially pleased to be recognised for my contribution to training and supervision in health psychology. I didn’t know I had been nominated, so this is a fantastic surprise. I have always sought to share knowledge and train the next generation, which was one of the selection criteria.”

Professor Abraham’s work focuses on designing, evaluating and putting into place evidence-based approaches to changing health-related behaviour patterns. He works on reducing unsafe sexual encounters among young people, promoting exercise and healthy diets as well as reducing risky alcohol use among young people. He also conducts research on blood donation, encouraging patients to report symptoms of illness and helping patients manage illnesses such as diabetes.

To identify its list of 100, the Science Council organised a competition around ten different types of scientist role. The list has ten different examples of each of the ten types and gives a broad picture of the many different ways people work with science, making valuable contributions across British society and the economy.  The final selection was made by a panel of distinguished scientists appointed by the council.

After seeing the results, David Willetts, Minister for Universities and Science said: “This list helpfully challenges the perception that there is only one kind of scientist… If we want more people to enter a career in science we need to show that the scientific community is not some exclusive club but people with a wide variety of vocations and interests who have rewarding careers and are making a significant contribution to the wealth and well-being of the UK.”

University of Exeter Philosophy and Classics graduate, Piers Furnace said “It’s good to see this aspect of scientific research being recognised by higher scientific bodies.”

Rich Dabrowski, News Team