Exeter to London train line closed for three weeks

169
Image credit: Express & Echo
Image credit: Express & Echo

Railway disruption between Exeter and London is expected for just under a month, with major improvements being made to the route.

Services between Exeter St David’s and London Paddington will be heavily impacted whilst the works are carried out until February 9, but alternative travel options are in place.

Network Rail is renewing the track, repairing the Whiteball Tunnel in Somerset from now until Sunday 9 February and improving drainage.

Because of this, the main line between Exeter and Taunton will be closed. A replacement bus service will operate at Exeter St David’s, Tiverton Parkway and Taunton instead.

Meanwhile, First Great Western will be operating a reduced timetable between Exeter and London Paddington, while some trains services between Exeter and London will be diverted via Yeovil, adding an hour to journey times. David Crome, First Great Western’s general manager west, stated: “While we have worked hard to keep disruption to a minimum, some train times have been altered and we advise customers to check before they travel”.

Morning services are set to be re-timed to allow customers to make morning meetings in both London and Devon. Some First Great Western trains will depart 30-65 minutes earlier than usual on Monday to Friday. The service frequency on the route from Exeter to Penzance will be significantly reduced for both First Great Western and Cross Country, while train times will be altered. Passengers travelling to London, Bristol or Plymouth will need to plan journeys carefully to ensure that they make re-timed connections to main line services.

Conor Byrne, News Team