Home Screen Reviews Review: Anchorman 2 – The Legend Continues

Review: Anchorman 2 – The Legend Continues

Hannah Butler gets a second helping of Anchorman.

Ron Burgundy and his imbecilic and mildly offensive news team return triumphantly onto our screens after an almost decade-long hiatus, in this sequel to 2004’s Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.

Image credit: CNN
Image credit: CNN

Happily married to former rival Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate), Ron (Will Ferrell) faces the tough choice between love and ambition when Veronica is promoted just as he is fired. Unable to cope with Veronica’s success, Ron leaves the family home and winds up back in San Diego, where the opportunity arises to join the Global News Network, the world’s first 24-hour news channel.

Enter Ron’s loyal news team: Brian Fantana, Champ Kind, and of course, the wonderfully irritating yet endearing Brick Tamland, who join Ron in this challenge of making the graveyard shift their route back into the big time.

Of course, the danger of leaving such a vast length of time before introducing a sequel is that if, like my friends and I, you’ve been spouting Anchorman quotes since Year 8 and consider the film to be something of a classic, it’s going to take something pretty spectacular to make you forget that you “love lamp”, and forcibly remove you from the “glass case of emotion” you’ve been trapped in since film one.

However, if a spectacle is what you’re after, a spectacle is certainly what you’ll get in Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues.

We’re talking shark attacks, rolling RVs, and Will Ferrell playing jazz flute whilst figure skating. Chuck in some surprising guest cameos towards the end, and Anchorman 2 ends up just as far-fetched, daft yet hilarious as we’d expect from the original.

Basically, if you’re after sophisticated, politically correct entertainment, it’s probably best to give this a miss. However, if you enjoyed roaring and cringing along with the first Anchorman, chances are this won’t disappoint.

Hannah Butler

Can the first Anchorman be improved upon? Tell us on FacebookTwitter or by commenting below.