BUCS: EUNC 6 win moves them up to second

217
Photo: EUNC 6s
Photo: EUNC 6s

EUNC 6s faced Winchester 3s at home on Wednesday with their full team together and fit for the first time this season. Exeter dominated from the outset, turning over countless Winchester centre passes in the first quarter, with great defensive communication and pressure from WD Helena Carter and GD Bryony Bowman.

EUNC 6s racked up an impressive 12-2 lead after the first 15 minutes and went into quarter two with a fresh set of legs on court. A full change of defence took a while to settle in, which Winchester tried to take advantage of, putting in eight goals across the quarter. However, our attackers paid little attention and still managed to net a further 14 for Exeter, leaving the half time score line a pretty comfortable 26-10.

Now settled into the game properly, instead of drifting through the last half letting Winchester have some space, EUNC 6s only increased the pressure, squeezing Winchester’s shooters out of play and off the back line allowing them only four goals in quarter three to our 16. The shooters, GAs Nelia Vartsaba; Katie Boaks and Player of the Match GS Meghan Honeysett supported each other and worked solidly, always providing options and movement as well as finishing this off with some splendid shots.

The final quarter continued in this vein, with the consistent efforts of EUNC 6’s attack netting a further 14 goals against Winchester’s efforts that resulted in only 2 goals. Most of their attack was denied half way down the court by a cracking defensive effort, with some great control from EUNC who did not loose focus for any moment and consistently converted turnovers into goals.

With three matches left EUNC 6s are second place behind Plymouth 2s, who they face this week away for a local derby. Their next home match is their final BUCS match of the season and likely to be a cracker against Winchester 2s on the 5th March, supporters are totally encouraged.

Fayme Yeates, EUNC 6’s Captain