In the Clubhouse: Cycling

In the Clubhouse: Cycling

173

In the Clubhouse this week Peter Medhurst, Cycling Club’s Race Captain, freewheels with Mike Stanton and Will Kelleher, Sport Editors

Photo: Peter Medhurst
Photo: Peter Medhurst

The Cycling Club has been growing a lot recently.

Several years ago there were barely a handful of ‘regulars’ who would turn up for rides. Now the club has over 100 members, more than doubling its size in the last few years.

Our University’s cycling club covers all disciplines of cycling including road, downhill, cross country, cyclocross, BMX and more.

With lots of people getting involved with road racing, probably due to the success of British riders on the world stage, the club’s results have witnessed a huge leap forward in the last two years.

For the first time, the club entered the BUCS Team Time Trial and finished second out of 50 teams, collecting a silver medal. They have also been competing in some of the top amateur races in the UK, including a five day mini Tour De France style race in Wales.

Last year’s riders also racked up six individual wins in the local Devon area.

The BUCS Downhill (DH) event was unfortunately marred by crashes, but three riders succeeded in getting through the qualifiers and finishing inside the top 100, a strong achievement.

Last term the club successfully organised their own mini varsity DH, using their own timing poles and equipment, between Exeter, Bath, University of West England and Bristol University clubs.

Exeter triumphed in the team competition, showing the strength and depth of the squad.

On the road side of things an amateur racing team has been set up. The project is sponsored by the Bike Shed and the University. The team will be known as BikeShed-UEx.

The squad will be made up of the best university riders as well as other top riders in the region. The goals for this season are to compete and race side by side with the best riders in Britain. The team is also hoping to improve on the silver and bronze medals won at BUCS last year.

The club has also just organised its first ever training camp which will be a weekend away to Exmoor taking in two long days of excellent hilly terrain.

The BUCS Downhill competition is in Scotland this year. It’s a long way to go, but the club is hoping to take a strong team of 12-16 riders up to compete and improve after last year’s misfortune.

There are also a few local races and a series in the Forest of Dean that some riders will be competing in.

The great thing about the Cycling Club is that all you need is a bike! To join up and find out more about the club and its events, contact the club on Facebook, Twitter or e-mail.

EUCC is one of the cheapest AU clubs and membership is only £30!

Devon is a great place to get out and ride. Be it on or off road, there’s a wealth of places to ride in the area that offer superb rides and some breathtaking views.

The club often rides along the scenic coastlines, as well as over Dartmoor, and head to trails such as Haldon and Gawton.

The road rides take place on Wednesday and Saturday each week. The Wednesday ride is normally a bit shorter (25-35 miles) and will split into two groups – one for everyone and one which will go a bit faster. This is for  those who want to train more intensely for races. On Saturday the rides tend to be longer, but steadier, and are normally 40 to 60 miles.

The Downhill riders also head out on Wednesday afternoons and Saturdays, driving over to the various local trails the area has to offer.

To find out more like University of Exeter Cycling Club on Facebook, follow @ExeterUniCC on Twitter or email cycling.captain@exeter.ac.uk