Home News Green Unit launch sixteen new projects

Green Unit launch sixteen new projects

291
Image credit: Exeter Guild
Image credit: Exeter Guild

The Students’ Green Unit have funded 16 new sustainability projects which will take place this term.

Projects such as the ‘Sustainable Festival and Art Exhibition’ and a rewriting of the University’s Carbon Management Plan have been designed by students and were awarded £25,000 worth of funding for the rest of the academic year.

Other projects include a clothes swapping app titled ‘Style Cycle’ and ‘Bag Free Campus’ which will involve the designing and distribution of reusable bags.

Basic cooking courses for students with a focus on sustainable consumerism will also be running alongside free workshops on responsible electricity consumption and wildflower planting as part of ‘Going Wildwards’. These workshops will take place in the A&V Hub and commence on Monday 20 January.

The Student’s Green Unit was formed in October 2013 by a £300,000 funding grant from the National Union of Students (NUS) Green fund. Exeter was one of 25 UK universities to receive this funding and the Unit’s purpose is to create a more sustainable University and Guild.

Emma Hutchings, Student’s Green Unit intern said: “We were pleased with the high quality of project bids that we received and have been working closely with project leaders to develop their ideas.

“A wide range of issues will be addressed by the schemes now underway and we are excited to see the outcomes and impacts of the students’ hard work and collaborations with stakeholders and academics”.

Each project has been provided with an academic mentor from the University and will also have the support of the Student’s Green Unit interns and external partners based in Devon. The Unit aims to encourage inter-societal involvement such as the collaboration with the Debating Society during climate week.

Grace Stoneman, second year Geography student commented: “It is vital that students take charge of sustainability issues both on and off campus. Creating new projects with a modern twist is essential in order to make a step towards combating climate change”.

Students, staff and external organisations can get involved in these projects via the Student’s Green Unit newsletter and the Guild website.

Vanessa Tracey, Copy Editor