Late Night Lists: Ways to cope with the walk to campus

213

Perhaps you chose to live a little bit further out to have a nice house for less money, or perhaps you just get a bit bored with your five minute trek from halls to the centre of campus.

Whatever your situation, here are a few (mostly serious) suggestions on how you can liven up your walk to university when week three rolls around and it begins to get just a bit repetitive…

1. Listen to music. OK if you haven’t already picked up on this habit, it’s a good one. Plug into your iPhone/Android/MP3 player and get strutting. It’s like a movie soundtrack in your head and no one has to know what you’re listening to so it can be as embarrassing as you like. Time Lord rock, anyone…? No? Just me?

Invest. Image credits: juanpol
    Invest.
    Image credits: juanpol
  2. Choreograph. This one’s probably just me as well, but get some dance inspiration going on when you walk. See me in the street and you can pretty much guarantee that I have some new dance routine under construction in my head. It’s the perfect opportunity to work out your killer routine for later that evening.
  3. Actually dance. Go wild, let’s start a whole impromptu musical number! Depending on your levels of self-awareness, you might want to save this one until returning from your late-night library sessions when no one else is around, but kudos to you if you choose to lighten the rest of our mornings by busting a few of those Arena moves on the way to a 9am.

One for Vic Street, perhaps. Image credits: donald judge
    One for Vic Street, perhaps.
    Image credits: donald judge
  4. Knock on everybody’s doors/sing really loudly as you walk past. Waking people up because you need to be awake when they don’t is a great way to make friends. And once they’re up, they might as well get on with some work. You’re only helping them, really, it’s a win-win situation for all involved.
  5. Go on Tinder in the middle of a mass student migration to campus. You know the ones, I mean, when you suddenly find yourself on Union Road and surrounded by about a thousand other students. Whether you use Tinder to simply amuse yourself or to actually find someone for later, you’re never in a better place than in a huge group of students. Just try not to let anyone catch your eye, that might be awkward.
  6. Get a bike. As my housemate so scornfully commented when I mentioned this topic. If the walk is so bothersome, perhaps it is not for you. Why not invest in a bike and learn to cope with the traffic instead? At least you’ll be able to lie in a few minutes later in the mornings… (As long as you can find somewhere to lock it up when you get there!)
Try to stay on it though. Image credits: Pascal Maramis
Try to stay on it though.
Image credits: Pascal Maramis

Gertrude Pattenheimer