Home Arts & Lit Arts recommend: interpretations of the Tarot, Art Society’s exhibition, fabric portraits, and...

Arts recommend: interpretations of the Tarot, Art Society’s exhibition, fabric portraits, and more…

284

Every week we bring you our special selection of all things arty. From interesting websites to highly anticipated performances for your diary, there is something to spark all kinds of creative interest.

1. Outrageous Fortune: Artists Remake The Tarot

>> Raisa Veikkola and Frida Alvinzi - The Six of Chalices Image Credits: exeterphoenix.org.uk
Raisa Veikkola and Frida Alvinzi – The Six of Chalices
Image Credits: exeterphoenix.org.uk

This exhibition is at the Phoenix until 15th March and consists of different artists’ modern interpretations of the different cards that make up the Tarot de Marseille deck. Displayed alongside the originals, the pieces are extremely varied and have been created using a vast array of media. There is a mixture of intricate and recognisable forms, and  those which are blank and subversive, giving an insight into how each artist has interpreted the meaning of the cards.

We went to the opening night of the exhibition and would urge you to go and see it, especially if you are interested in the supernatural. It is also free! For more information click here.  

2. Stockholm’s Subway Art

Stockholm in Sweden has an incredible subway. Many subways are used to display works of art, such as Art on the Underground, but Stockholm has taken it a step further. The 100 stations are artworks in themselves, with incredible textures, sculptures, and patterns making up their very walls. Click here to see the photographs.

3. Art Society Exhibition

Image Credits: Bryony James
Art Society’s exhibition
Image Credits: Bryony James

Next time you walk through the Forum, check out the exhibition boards displaying the work of members of the University’s Art Society.

Based on the theme of ‘Patterns’, the work is extremely diverse and depicts patterns in the landscape, as well as geometrical shapes, and surreal patterns on the body. It’s up until the 31st January, and there is some amazing work on show.

4. Fabric Portraits

Artist Benjamin Shine has created incredibly realistic portraits using only tulle fabric and an iron. He carefully folds the fabric over and over again, creating layering which gives tone and shadow to the translucent material.

“The idea of ‘painting with fabric’ led to the development of this technique where the portrait image is created through the intricate pleating and pressing of a single length of tulle fabric. The technique aims to utilize the translucent qualities of the tulle fabric to generate various gradients, tones and textures,” writes Shine.

Check them out here.

5. Wheel of Life

“Paper is one of the most versatile and beautiful mediums available to makers, able to create and reproduce entire worlds at the cut of a blade. After years of experience perfecting this craft, The Makerie Studio teamed up with Director André Gidoin to magically bring one of these worlds to life, by creating and filming a hand made paper Zoetrope.

A zoetrope is a device that produces the illusion of motion from a rapid succession of static pictures. Often referred to as the Wheel Of Life, we were inspired to tell the story of one zoetrope in particular, that one night came to life.

All filmed in camera, the horses on the carousel are spaced to spin in sync with the camera’s frame rate to create the illusion of motion. Each horse is carefully studied to follow the one before it, so that once at speed they appear to be galloping.”

Wheel Of Life from Andre&Markus on Vimeo.

Giverny Masso and Bryony James

Visit the University of Exeter Arts and Culture website here.