Home Screen Reviews Review: Death in Paradise

Review: Death in Paradise

221

Death in Paradise is quickly establishing itself as a staple BBC Drama, Thomas Davies  shares his verdict on the latest series.

My favourite Caribbean detective drama is back on British television. Death In Paradise kicked off with plenty of good things: comedy, suspense and all despite succeeding in proverbially ripping my heart out in the first five minutes.

Episode 1 saw the departure of D.I. Richard Poole (Ben Miller) from the show. It was a massive shame to see him go so quickly and I didn’t feel he got quite the send-off he deserved. Without revealing anything, let’s just say it was a pretty decisive way to end the character, and I doubt he’ll be coming back anytime soon.

death in paradise
Surprise, surprise, Kris Marshall plays a clumsy character!
Image Credit: BBC

Cleverly, his replacement Humphrey Goodman (Kris Marshall) is a stark contrast. A very bumbling, eccentric kind of a detective, his character is really strong and definitive, and that was good because it set him apart from Miller. I wasn’t sure what to make of him at first, but he was definitely likeable, although Goodman’s insistence that ‘I’m not here to replace him’ didn’t do him any favours.

Once I’d got over Episode 1, by Episode 2, I began to warm to him a bit more. Perhaps they over-egged his clumsiness in this one, but it’s establishing the character I suppose. I managed to work out who the murderer was just before the reveal, and I normally don’t so that was disconcerting, but nonetheless it was a good episode, nothing much to complain about.

Beyond that it’s still the same old show, and if you loved the previous series, there’s plenty to like now. A few laughs, some really interesting mysteries so far, and Marshall’s heart-warming character are all good indicators for the rest of the series. However I still think, if you’ll pardon the expression, ‘it’s a bold strategy Cotton; let’s see if it pays off for them’.

What are your thoughts on D.I. Richard Poole’s replacement? Tell us on FacebookTwitter or by commenting below.