Arts Recommend: the Paddon Award, The Dream, Animated Exeter, and more…

276

Every week we bring you our special selection of all things arty. From interesting websites to highly anticipated performances for your diary, there is something to spark all kinds of creative interest.

1. The Paddon Award 

Image Credits: artsandcultureexeter.co.uk

Entries are now open for the Paddon Award, a yearly arts prize open to students, staff, and alumni of Exeter University. The theme is ‘A Sense of Place: taking inspiration from our surroundings – people and places, past, present and future’ and applications can be in the form of film, prose, music or visual arts. With a first prize of £25o, it is definitely worth entering if you are feeling creative. The deadline is 17th Feb and details about submissions can be found here.

2. Surreal Photography

We absolutely love these surreal photographs by Polish artist Dariusz Klimczak. The barren desert landscapes have been edited to include playful and wacky images of people, animals and objects. Click here to see them.

3. Hammer and Tongs @ Exeter Phoenix

Image Credits: exeterphoenix.org.uk
Image Credits: exeterphoenix.org.uk

“For anyone who’s ever craved the last word – Theatre Alibi’s very human comedy about arguing…

Hammer & Tongs digs deep into the human compulsion to argue the toss. Two men and a woman quibble, tiptoe into tiffs, debate high-mindedly, negotiate shoals of red herrings, take offence and descend into glorious, undignified, disgraceful, bad behaviour. From farcical fisticuffs at a wedding disco to squabbling for control of the TV remote, Theatre Alibi presents a very human comedy – physical, funny, absurd, musical, moving, and absolutely bloody-minded …”

This production by Theatre Alibi looks both poignant and tongue-in-cheek. Click here for tickets.

Performances: Fri 21 Feb 2014 – Sat 22 Feb 2014, Mon 24 Feb 2014 – Fri 28 Feb 2014 at 8pm.

4. The Dream @ Cellar Door

The Dream is an immersive theatrical experience of A Midsummer Night’s Dream at Cellar Door. This exciting project means that you create your own narrative by visiting the different character’s rooms. The night turns into a night out, with Thick As Thieves’ Will Wadham on the decks.

Performances are on 12th and 13th February at 7.30pm, and 14th February at 8pm. Tickets are £5 and can be reserved by emailing sm583@exeter.ac.uk.

5. Animated Exeter

Check out this preview for Animated Exeter, a festival of animation screenings and workshops taking place from the 10th to 22nd February. For more information and a list of exactly what is taking place, visit their website here.

Animated Exeter 2014 Film Preview from Animated Exeter on Vimeo.

Bryony James and Giverny Masso

Visit the University of Exeter Arts and Culture website here.