Home News Development of ‘Queen’s Crescent’ in St James

Development of ‘Queen’s Crescent’ in St James

213

exeposelogo-1024x303Proposals to develop the Queen’s Crescent garden in the ward of St James have been introduced by the Exeter St James Forum. Possible plans for the space will be made following an event at the gardens on Saturday 15th February, where members of the community will be able to offer ideas and suggestions about how it should be used.

The triangular space, bordered by Longbrook Street, York Road and Queen’s Crescent, lies at the heart of a popular student area close to both Streatham Campus and the City Centre. As members of the community, students are welcome to be involved and offer their opinions about how they would like the garden to be used.

Rory Cunningham, the Community Liaison Officer for the University of Exeter said “Queen’s Crescent has a huge potential as a community space. We would like to encourage students to engage in this consultation and we hope that future use of this space, in the heart of the St James Ward, will help residents to get to know one another”.

The Exeter St James Forum was established in order to improve the social, economic and environmental aspects of the area. Diane Boston, the Chair of the Exeter St James Forum said “revitalising Queen’s Crescent Garden is the number one priority identified by the people of St James in our Neighbourhood Plan”.

The event, which will run from 12pm until 1.30pm at the gardens, will be followed by an ideas workshop at St Sidwell’s School Hall from 2pm until 4.30pm. This community consultation event will be hosted by landscape architect consultants, with the support of Exeter City Council’s New Homes Bonus grant. They will provide a professional assessment of the site, offer advice, and after the event will produce designs based on various ideas and suggestions from the workshop.

Katie Bradding, a second-year History student said, “It’s good to know that students are accounted for and valued as equal members of the community. However, I’m not sure how far the development of this space will directly affect us as students”.

Rachel Gelormini, News Team