Rugby Varsity postponed due to weather

Rugby Varsity postponed due to weather

221

548_0_1180645759EURFC’s headline fixture, the varsity match against the University of Bath RFC, has been postponed. The news was first confirmed to Exeposé this morning by the Bath Rugby Club Chairman and later the Director of Rugby for EURFC. The match initially scheduled for 19 February has been called off due to the extreme weather the South West has been experiencing.

EURFC Director of Rugby, Keith Flemming, commented to Exeposé: “We are very sad to announce that the Varsity fixture against Bath, scheduled for 19 February, has had to be postponed for obvious reasons. We are all very disappointed, but we are investigating the possibility of rearranging the match to a date in March, yet to be confirmed”.

The rearranged fixture is likely to become a friendly or a new cup game due to scheduling conflicts with the ongoing BUCS season, while the current state of the BUCS fixture to be played this week remains dependent on weather and a suitable venue.

It is thought that the pitch would not repair due to the rain, as well as successive games – the Chiefs against Bath Rugby on 15 February as well as the varsity on 19 February. The Varsity fixture has been won by Exeter every year since the fixture moved to Sandy Park, the home of the Exeter Chiefs, in 2011.

The AU also previously released a statement, expressing regret towards the postponement “due to the pitch at Sandy Park being unplayable as a result of the recent weather. We are currently working to find an alternative date”.

It is understood by Exeposé that ticket sales are continuing and that any tickets sold will be transferrable to the planned rearranged fixture in March.

A third year English student commented: “While it will obviously be disappointing for sports fans to see a showpiece event pushed back in this way, it is reassuring to see that the event is going to be rescheduled in the near future.”

The Exeter Chiefs declined to comment on the postponement.

Louis Doré, News Editor