Home Uncategorized Catch up on Cornwall Campus: Cut adrift from the mainland by floods...

Catch up on Cornwall Campus: Cut adrift from the mainland by floods and storms

398

In Annabel Soper’s latest column from Exeter’s Cornwall Campus, she assures us that Falmouth is still standing despite being isolated from the rest of the country following storm damage to the railways at Dawlish…

Image Credit: Getty Images
Image Credit: Getty Images

So you will be pleased to know Falmouth Campus is still standing strong, and has not been washed out to sea by the tremendous waves hitting our shore.

Coming up to campus has been, at times, an exhilarating experience, travelling up a famously steep Cornish hill in a double decker, against 100mph winds and small rivers flowing down either side.

In the meantime however, we are confined to our houses really, given that the outside was likely to sweep us to sea.

This unfortunate situation led to many forts being made, crawling into the depths of YouTube (from this I may never recover), and happily doing some baking in between.

Living in Cornwall really does sometimes feel like a foreign country. Different food is eaten here, an extremely different dialect is spoken, and even the time zone feels off – walk through the high street after 8pm and you will be lucky to see even a stray cat awake.

It wasn’t until last week though that it was poetically confirmed. In a raging storm the wind blew apart the railroad track at Dawlish, cutting off Cornwall from the rest of the country.

Because the winds are so strong, there cannot be any coaches either to replace the trains, so us car-less students are settling down here for the foreseeable future. Before you start sending care packages, Kendal mint cakes etc, it really isn’t so bad. The coast line foot paths make for an excellent Sunday walk, and the constant rain provides a great reason to spend lengthy afternoons in the countless independent coffee shops around town. Trust me – it’s a tough life by the sea…

So we don’t yet know when we can get back to the ‘main land’; the news now states the train line  probably won’t be fixed by the end of term, though there should be coaches running before then. In the meantime we will be cracking on with our studies, though maybe taking a break from the sea swimming for a while.

Annabel Soper

You can read Annabel’s previous columns about life on Cornwall Campus herehere and here.  

Like Exeposé Lifestyle on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to ensure you don’t miss the next instalment of Catch up on Cornwall Campus