Devon and Cornwall Police face further cuts

194

Devon & Cornwall Police WJ55AGODevon and Cornwall Police are facing the prospect of having to save approximately £30 million over the next four years due to recent cuts in government funding.

This reduction in spending follows the £51 million that the force has already been required to save, which resulted in the loss of over 400 police officers.

One option that was discussed, but appears to have been ruled out in the near future is the merging of the force’s major crime team with the Avon and Somerset, Dorset, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire police.

The Express and Echo recently reported that Police and Crime Commissioner Tony Hogg is set to ask for a two per cent rise in the police’s share of the council tax in an attempt to protect services.

When contacted by Exeposé, Devon and Cornwall police declined to comment on the potential cuts as the budget is yet to be set.

Questions have been asked over the amount of funding that Devon and Cornwall Police receive in comparison to other forces across the country.

In 2013, Mr Hogg and Chief Constable Shaun Sawyer wrote to all of the region’s MPs encouraging them to push for more funding.

The letter highlighted the burden that is placed on the two counties in the peak of the tourist season in the summer months. According to the Express and Echo, recorded crime increased by 26.5 per cent during the summer compared to out of season.

In February and March 2013, there were 13,072 offences compared to 16,540 in July and August.

Alex Lewers, a second year History and International Relations student, said: “It is a shame that there is the possibility of even more cuts to the local police force. As a student, I feel pretty safe in Exeter and this is partly due to the good policing of the officers in the city”.

Tom Elliott, Online News Editor