Home News RAG expect RockSolid intake

RAG expect RockSolid intake

191
Image credit: RockSolidRace
Image credit: RockSolidRace

Exeter RAG is expecting to raise £10,000 for charity by facilitating students who are running the RockSolid race on 15 March.

Originally aiming for 50 sign-ups, at the time of writing 90 people have put themselves forward for the event. This robust response from the student body has prompted RAG to book another coach and buy more vests to accommodate the number of runners.

With the organisers describing RockSolid as a “full on cocktail of mud, sweat and team work that will push your mettle to the max”, it will see participants fighting against nature in an obstacle course at the 12,000 acre estate of Escot Park, Exeter.

Henry Bowles, Exeter RAG President, stated: “This is set to be a brilliant event; RockSolid was hugely popular last year and should be bigger and better this year. It’s great so many students are up for challenging themselves to raise some money for our worthwhile causes”.

All applicants are expected to be running in the same wave on the day. Due to the solid entries from the sailing club (team ‘Yachty Totty’) and the tennis club (team ‘EUTC’), the runners will be subdivided into teams.

RAG will be providing transport on the day to and from the race, with a social at Timepiece taking place in the evening. Entry to the popular nightspot is included in the signing up fee.

The profits from the event are to be split between four nominated charities: Devon Freewheelers, Rainbow Trust, Concern Universal and Community Action. All donations can be made to individuals via their BT mydonate fundraising pages.

Officially sponsored by the University of Exeter’s Sports Centre, the highest individual fundraiser will receive a free one month platinum membership. In preparation for the event, team training is also being offered every Monday at 17:15 in the Russell Seal Fitness Centre.

Jak Curtis-Rendall, VP Participation and Campuses, commented: “RAG have yet again worked extremely hard to ensure we have a high number of Exeter students entering this year’s RockSolid race. The amount of money raised so far for this single event has been staggering, and the money is still coming in. The partnership with the Sports Park to facilitate weekly training sessions has also been a great success. It’s certainly going to be very muddy and challenging but, as usual, the dedication of our volunteers goes above and beyond”.

The inaugural annual Exeter RAG awards will take place on Friday 7 March.

Rob Harris, Screen Editor