Home News Eating Disorders Awareness Week: What’s on?

Eating Disorders Awareness Week: What’s on?

601

1958257_10152209441153643_496571719_n

This week, 24th February – 2nd March, is National Eating Disorders Awareness Week. Find out more information about the week as well as further resources by heading to the website of national eating disorder support charity, Beat.

Mental health awareness society Mind Your Head has organised a series of events across the week to bring awareness to eating disorders and related body image issues alongside Art Society, BodySoc, Her Campus Exeter and Exeposé.

Keep an eye out for articles on Exeposé across the week as we explore the issues at hand and help highlight Exeter student experiences.

If you would like to submit an article of your own for National Eating Disorders Awareness Week, please don’t hesitate to get in touch on Facebook or twitter.

Monday 24th February

Mind Your Head society will be in the Forum between 11 p.m. and 3 p.m. for a ‘I like my body because…’ campaign and a chance to pick up some free information and leaflets!

If you have a personal experience to share, join Mind Your Head for a chance to talk openly and informally about your own experiences with eating disorders in Cornwall House at 5 p.m.

Tuesday 25th February

There will be a talk from Emma Woolf (The Times journalist, TV presenter and author of the acclaimed books An Apple a Day and The Ministry of Thin) at 5 p.m.

Emma will be taking a controversial, unflinching look at how the obsession with weight loss, youth, beauty and perfection got out of control and exploring how we might all be able to stop hating and start liking our own bodies again – not one to miss!

Wednesday 26th February

Mid-week blues? Try yoga for FREE with Bodysoc from 5 p.m. until 6 p.m. – the perfect chance to unwind and there’s evidence that group exercise is much better for the mind!

Join Mind Your Head in the evening at Monkey Suit for a WHITE T-SHIRT SOCIAL in aid of B-eat (tickets £3) to thank everyone involved as well as the perfect chance to mingle, have a good chat and even a bit of a boogie to a range of musical wizardry.

Thursday 27th February

Life drawing taster with ArtSoc from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. on the Thursday in Room 3 of Cornwall House. Everyone is welcome – artistic experience/talent not required!

Friday 28th February

Try Zumba with BodySoc FOR FREE at 11 a.m. to kick your weekend off with a laugh and some positive vibes!

Mind Your Head challenges you to wear the loudest and most ridiculous socks you own to take part in the B-eat ‘Sock it to Eating Disorders Campaign’.

Don’t miss out on taking part and learning more across the week –  make sure you get involved and keep an eye on Exeposé’s Facebook and Twitter for Eating Disorder Awareness Week content and updates.

If you are struggling with any problems and need someone to talk to, give Voice a call 01392 724000 or head to their website to chat online, skype and more. Voice is a student-run listening and information service that runs 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. during term-time. 

With thanks to Mind Your Head society for information and resources.