Home News Battle of the Bands semi-finals kick off on Monday

Battle of the Bands semi-finals kick off on Monday

366
Image Credit: Campus Bands
Image Credit: Campus Bands

On Monday, four of the eight remaining acts in this year’s Battle of the Bands will compete in the first of two semi-finals, hoping to make it through to the final later this term where one will be confirmed as the best band on campus.

Run by Campus Bands society, this year’s competition kicked off on January 24 in the bottom bar of Timepiece and continued on Mondays until the first round was complete on February 17th.

15 bands entered and eight progressed to the next stage after receiving either the judges or public’s seal of approval.

Battle of the bands is open to all genres and has already seen jazz bands compete against rock and acoustic counterparts. Solo artists were not allowed to enter, partly due to the fact that one of the judging criteria is band cohesion/tightness.

There will be two semi-finals on Monday 3rd March and Monday 10th March. Two bands from each heat will progress to the final. The prize for the winning band is a day and half recording at Sound Gallery Studios in Exeter. There will also be a prize for best song in the final.

Sound Gallery Studios is a professional recording studio situated in the basement complex of the Exeter Phoenix, one of the city’s biggest live music venues.

Simon Allington, President of Campus Bands Society, said: “This years Battle of the Bands has so far been truly one of the best we have seen in terms of quality music and audience attendance. With the semi-finals arriving, the competition is certainly heating up, so be prepared to see battle commence!”

The eight bands that will compete in the semi-finals are: Saudade, Ennor, Academic Audio, Bloom, Drive in Saturday, Kaleidoscope Eyes, Empires of Glass and Death Star Disco.

For more information and details of the heats click here.

Tom Elliott, Online News Editor