Exeter soars in QS World University Rankings

199
Image credit: Jisc infoNet
Image credit: Jisc infoNet

The University of Exeter has improved its ranking in the influential international league table once again, with particular success in science and the humanities.

In total, Exeter features in the world’s Top 200 institutions in 15 of the 30 subjects listed in the latest edition of the QS World University Rankings by Subject.

Building on the success of last year, Geography has strengthened its Top 50 position rising from 48 to 21. English Language and Literature has joined this elite grouping for the first time ranking at 43, making it the third time in the last four years that English has improved its standing.

Other notable entries include Psychology, Earth and Marine Sciences and Politics and International Studies which are ranked in the Top 100; Modern Languages, Economics & Econometrics, History, Agriculture & Forestry and Education are ranked in the 100-150 range; and Sociology, Engineering, Biological Sciences, Accounting & Finance and Environmental Sciences appear in the 150–200 range.

The University improved overall from 182nd last year to 168th in the world this year.

Professor Dan Charman, Dean of the College of Life and Environmental Sciences, said:“I am delighted that the excellent work being carried out within our departments has been recognised in the 2014 World Subject Rankings.

“Geography’s new ranking of 21st in the world reflects the way in which our world-leading academics engage with key research questions on the international stage to tackle global issues and shape the future.

3,002 universities were evaluated for this, the third edition of the QS World University Rankings by Subject, and 689 institutions ranked in total. 130 million citation attributions were analysed and verified and 10,639 programmes researched.

History and Philosophy third year undergraduate Charlie Mackay said “I think it is a strong reflection of the University and the Guild’s efforts to improve the academic expeerience at Exeter.”

Rich Dabrowski