University responds to marking boycott

University responds to marking boycott

222

class-examOn Wednesday, students were notified via email about the University of Exeter’s position regarding lecturers’ refusal to mark final exam papers and dissertations.

In an email to all students, the deputy vice chancellor Janice Kay said: “The University is already working very hard to minimise the effects of any examination and making boycott at Exeter, particularly with regard to students graduating this year.”

The boycott could have a serious effect on students across the country as they may not be able to officially graduate.

Earlier this week, Exeposé reported that the University failed to comment on the protection of students’ degrees, after it was announced by the University and College Union (UCU) that a marking boycott will take place on 28 April.

The University have also announced that a working group, which includes Students’ Guild representatives, has been formed in order to address the planned boycott, and will attempt to minimise the threat of any disruption.

The vice chancellor also said: “The number of academic staff who have participated in industrial action this year at Exeter has been low and has been decreasing since the industrial action commenced in October 2013.” The percentage of Exeter staff who participated in industrial strike action was 4.1%. The university therefore expects “limited” effects of any action.

The University hopes that the problem will be resolved before the beginning of the exam period. However, students continue to express concern over the future of their degrees.

Rachel Gelormini, News Team