Formula Students heading to Silverstone

Formula Students heading to Silverstone

145
Image credit: Formula Student Exeter
Image credit: Formula Student Exeter

On 9-13 July a team of students from the University of Exeter will be taking part in ‘Formula Student’, the world’s largest student motorsport competition at Silverstone race-circuit.

‘Formula Student’ is an international motorsport competition run by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. The event hosts 114 teams of Engineering students from 38 countries form around the world.

Teams are challenged to design and build a single seat race car to compete in a variety of static and dynamic tests, challenging both student business understanding and race car performance.

Their designs will be tested on the track, before the team face a panel of industry judges where they will have to justify every technical decision they have made.

When asked about the team’s preparations, Team Manager Nick Hector said: “We have finished our system designs for the car and are starting to build it! The chassis is being welded as we speak and we hope to have all parts manufactured by the end of Easter.”

This is the second team the University has entered in the prestigious competition. Last year’s team was successful, winning the ‘Best Newcomer’ trophy.

Speaking about this year’s event Hector added “We hope to have some time testing the car with our selected drivers in the weeks leading up to the event in July and hope to come in a higher position than last year’s team. There’s still plenty to do but were motivated and are enjoying every second of it.”

Dr Stephen Childe, Senior Lecturer in Engineering and who is overseeing the project said: “The students are doing fantastically well, and are really taking this car to another level of handling, reliability and performance.”

Currently, the Exeter team is looking for local sponsorship to get them a place on the legendary podium. Money would go towards building the car and funding their trip to the event. Sponsors would have their logos displayed on the vehicle and affiliated promotional materials, and can also attend the race day itself.

Taking about the community aspect of the competition, Childe added: “This isn’t just about the University – we hope attracting sponsors will help us turn this into something that the local community can be really proud of and get behind.”

To follow the team’s progress click here.

Emily Leahy, News Team