Home Screen Reviews Review: The Walking Dead, Season 4, Episodes 9 & 10

Review: The Walking Dead, Season 4, Episodes 9 & 10

228

Ejona Rexhepi reviews ‘After’ and ‘Inmates’, the first two episodes after the climactic mid-season finale of The Walking Dead.

Image credit: AMC
Image credit: AMC

After an agonisingly painful wait, The Walking Dead finally returned to our TV screens.

The midseason finale left us feeling like we’d been punched in the gut, much like the characters we had taken for granted the safety of the prison. It left us wondering who had survived, what was going to happen next and if the group would manage to find each other again.

Following months of anticipation, the first episode after the mid-season finale ‘After’,was somewhat anti-climactic. There were no answers to any questions left by the mid-season finale and it was quite a slow paced episode; only one moment truly startling me.

The episode focuses mainly on Carl, as he struggles between wanting to enjoy “childish” things, whilst also becoming more of a hardened warrior. It takes an interesting look at his relationship with Rick and the dependency or not that lies there. The focus of the episode seems to be on relationships as we get a revealing look into Michonne’s past, which gives us more of an insight into her secretive character.

What ‘After’ lacked in action and answers was truly made up for by the next episode along, ‘Inmates’. 

Carol (Melissa Suzanne McBride), Penny (Kylie Szymanski), Lizzie (Brighton Sharbino) and Tyreese (Chad Coleman). Image credit: The Guardian

This episode was full of twists and turns and shocking events that made me shout out at my laptop screen. It was much more eventful, as we find out what happened to all the other members of the group.

The most interesting sub-group is that of Tyreese, Lizzie and Mika. Lizzie has been developing as a character on the fringes of normalcy and this strangeness carries on in this episode, making us wonder how her instabilitywill manifest itself.

This episode was gripping and set up intriguing future issues but as of now I am just impatient for the whole group to get back together.

Ejona Rexhepi

What are your thoughts on Season 4 of The Walking Dead? Let us know on FacebookTwitter or by commenting below.