Volunteers wanted for Rugby World Cup

Volunteers wanted for Rugby World Cup

171
Sandy Park will play host to the World Cup next year. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Volunteers are being sought to assist with the Rugby World Cup in 2015. Exeter’s Sandy Park Stadium has been chosen as one of 13 host venues for the event in 2015. The prestigious tournament will take place in England and Wales from 18 September to 31 October.

There will be various opportunities for student volunteers to assist with the tournament. Volunteer interviewers (VIPs) will be required to support the recruitment and selection process for the 6000 volunteers. Volunteers will conduct daily one-to-one interviews to ensure that the volunteers chosen will provide the perfect welcome for international visitors. VIPs will also ensure the success of the Try Out selection, which will take place at the University of Exeter on 21-27 July 2014.

Students can also apply to volunteer for “The Pack” separately. The Pack can volunteer in Exeter or elsewhere, and will help to run the Tournament in various different teams, such as Spectator Services and Transport. Students can register their interest up until 17 March on the official Rugby World Cup website.

Pete Edwards, Exeter City Council Leader, said: “This is fantastic news for Exeter – I am absolutely chuffed to bits! Once again, this puts Exeter on the world map and the city will be doing its uppermost to contribute to this thrilling sporting event and provide a genuinely warm welcome to UK and international visitors. “We have been working closely with the Exeter Chiefs to make this happen and will continue doing so right up until the kick off in 2015, when the eyes of the nation and indeed the world will be focused on Exeter.”

A third year student commented: “I think it’s fantastic that students can be involved in such a massive international event, especially considering that rugby is one of the university’s most popular and successful sports”.

Clara Plackett, Deupty Editor