Home Music Exeter named 11th most musical UK place

Exeter named 11th most musical UK place

123
photocredit:www.rollingstone.com
photocredit:www.rollingstone.com

Exeter has been named the 11th most musical place to live in the United Kingdom, according to a recent survey.

The survey, conducted by researchers from Goldsmiths, the University of London and the BBC Lab UK, have placed Exeter 11th in terms of musicality. Completely contrasting this, in 353rd place, is Mid Devon.

Katharine Valori, a member of Bluebelles acapella group, has stressed how the community spirit within Exeter and the University of Exeter has created a vibrant music scene, reflected in Exeter’s ranking in the survey.

Other South-West locations have not done as well as Exeter, notably Plymouth, which was ranked at 230.

At the top of the list is Hastings, the former of home of musician Tommy Bowen, member of the band White Lies and Barry Upton, who founded the pop band, Steps. West Somerset and North Dorset were runners-up.

The study findings have shown that musical skills and ability are not evenly distributed across the county. They are linked to profession, education level and average income.

Famous Exeter musicians include, Thom Yorke (Radiohead’s lead singer), Will Young and Felix Buxton (of Basement Jaxx), all of whom attended the University of Exeter. Matt Bellamy, lead vocalist of Muse, went to Exeter College.

Kim Stansfield, President of Exeter University Symphony Orchestra, as well as being a member of multiple other university music groups, believes that this ranking is a positive for Exeter’s musical scene. Kim commented on this ranking saying that it made her proud and hopes that this ranking will a positive for the future of music in Exeter.

Exeter University Choral Society are performing, in recognition of the World War One centenary, Karl Jenkins’ highly acclaimed work The Armed Man (together with a chamber orchestra) at Exeter Cathedral on Saturday 15th March 2014 at 19.30.

Bea Wood, News Team