Student warden scheme to hold interviews

106
Image credit: Derek Harper
Image credit: Derek Harper

The University has opened applications for an existing community warden programme. Each year the Community Warden scheme employs ten students to support university students living in off-campus accommodation.

Wardens work with the Students’ Guild, the police and Exeter City Council to encourage integration between students and the community. Duties include conducting ‘walkabouts’ in their area, directing students with community-related queries and attending community meetings.

Student Wardens also have termly opportunities to develop their own community projects, as well as facilitating existing campaigns.

Rory Cunningham, Community Liaison Officer for the University, told Exeposé: “We are keen to employ ten students who are outgoing, motivated and have some experience of living off campus. Experience in working with community projects would be an advantage.  The project has gone from strength to strength since its launch in 2008 and we have received some excellent feedback from a range of community partners”.

Recent projects and campaigns carried out by the Wardens include a street party in Prospect Park last September, the ongoing ‘Glass Caddying’ recycling programme, and the ‘Students On The Move’ refuse removal scheme, operated in the third term, which aids refuse collection for students leaving before or after bin day.

Wardens work in teams of five to cover the areas of St James, St David’s, Pennsylvania, Newtown and Polsloe. Students can approach their local Wardens directly with concerns or queries, or email streetwise@ex.ac.uk to arrange appointments.

Any student seeking more information on applying for the role is advised to contact to Rory Cunningham, Community Liaison Officer, by emailing r.j.cunningham@ex.ac.uk.

Bethany Baker, News Team