YMCA to take over Guildhall shopping centre for Sleep Easy Campaign

198
Image credit: Sleep Easy 2014
Image credit: Sleep Easy 2014

The YMCA will be taking over the Guildhall shopping centre on Saturday to give people the chance to experience what it’s like to sleep rough on the streets as part of its annual Sleep Easy campaign.

The Sleep Easy is a national event happening over multiple cities all across England. The aim of the project is to “highlight the issue of youth homelessness and raise vital funds to support the work of your local YMCA”.

The Exeter event will take place on the night of the 15th of March with nearly 200 people expected to spend the night in and around the Guildhall.

Music and other entertainment will be available throughout the evening as well as hot drink and food for participants. Highlights of the entertainment will come from Adam Isaac, Exeter’s popular contestant on the voice in Series One of The Voice, who will be performing his charity single Sleep Easy on the night. While event orgainser Tom Wyatt accepts this is not a “real rough sleeping experience” he promises it will be “a night you remember for a long time”.

The YMCA are hoping to raise enough money for “15,000 nights’ accommodation and support each year to homeless young people in Devon”.

If students do want to get involved they should email Tom Wyatt as soon as possible on tom.wyatt@exeterymca.org.uk or if they want to donate, visit www.sleepeasyexeter.org.uk.

James Smurthwaite, News Team