Still no job lined up for the summer? Try not to panic!

213

Fearing a lifetime of unemployment and misery? Don’t panic, you are in control of your career and the Career Zone is here to help you, so make the most of it!

Anyone else feel like this academic year is flying past? The evenings are starting to get lighter, the weather is … (well still on the damp side really but slowly improving!) and the majority of internship and graduate recruitment deadlines seem to have either passed or are fast approaching. It’s at this time of year that I start to see an increase in students worrying about the fact that they have not secured a graduate scheme or internship. My advice – don’t panic! There are still lots of options available to you.

Photo Credit: star5112 via Compfight cc
Photo Credit: star5112 via Compfight cc

The first thing to be aware of is that these large graduate employers only represent a very small percentage of the total jobs available on the market overall. This means there are hundreds of smaller/medium sized employers out there who may have the perfect opportunity for you. But how do you access them?

Well, most may advertise directly via their website but if not then you can approach them directly with a CV and covering letter to ask about opportunities. Sometimes they may also advertise through recruitment agencies so don’t forget to include them in your job hunting action plan.

Creative job hunting is all about networking so make the most of any contacts that you have. Make the most of the Exepert Scheme which the Career Zone offers, speak to family and friends, people on your course, tutors and spread the word. Don’t forget the power of social media and get yourself on LinkedIn to develop some networks and start contacting people.

If you’re not sure how to draft a covering letter, what a recruitment agency is or even what career you might like to do your first point of call should be the Career Zone. Start by having a look at the information and resources at www.exeter.ac.uk/careers. Here you will find details about how to get started with your career planning, creating a graduate level CV, finding an internship, applying for international opportunities, getting involved in the Exeter Award or Exepert Scheme and much more. You will also find links to My Career Zone where you can book on to the many different events we run where you can hear from employers, develop your employability skills or search for job opportunities.

So as I said earlier – don’t panic, you are in control of your career and the Career Zone is here to help you, so make the most of it!

Rachel Coombes