Home News Competition searching for new app begins

Competition searching for new app begins

204
Image credit: University of Exeter
Image credit: University of Exeter

A competition is being run by the University of Exeter to find a new and exciting app from any student or staff member in the University.

According to the competition webpage, the project, which is being run by Research and Knowledge Transfer, Exeter IT and the Students’ Guild, will seek to find the most ‘inventive, publically beneficial and commercially promising app’.

Entries will be vying for university funding as well as design support from professional software developers to help make their app a reality.

Though there are no restrictions on entries, designs will have to be specifically submitted to one of three categories: commercial, research enabling and societal benefit.

Questions for entries range from the app name through to sustainability in the face of market competition.

Usually the Universities Research and Knowledge Transfer provides support for professional researchers, helping with funding support and bid development.

The competition comes after students from the University of Exeter won first place in the international Microsoft’s Imagine Cup World Innovation Competition last year for their app, SoundSYNK. The group’s app which linked speakers on users’ phones to amplify the overall sound.

Entries for the app competition can be made up until 28 March and the winners will be announced on 1 May.

Sam Brewer, News Team