Seven Reasons Not To Read The Daily Mail

166

Following the recent announcement of the Daily Mail‘s petition to stop foreign aid until Britain’s floods are dealt with, Meg Lawrence, Online Features Editor, offers seven reasons (seven because, just like their articles, it makes no sense) why you shouldn’t read the Daily Mail.

1. Their ridiculous petitions.

As already mentioned, petitions such as the one to stop foreign aid until floods are dealt with are narrow-minded and targeting. In some peculiar, mind-boggling reasoning, the Daily Mail actually manages to persuade its readers that it is as a result of sending foreign aid that we don’t have the resources to cope with flooding. The two are in no way connected, yet the Daily Mail manages to stigmatise and scapegoat anything that isn’t ‘British.’

Image Credits: Daily Mail
Image Credits: Daily Mail

2. They turn women into hate figures.

We have all heard of the infamous Katie Hopkins and her appalling comments ranging from the names of children to issues about women’s weight. Whilst there is no question of the fact that these are her own opinions, the Daily Mail gave her a platform to air them by publishing her mindless articles. Samantha Brick is another woman endorsed by the Daily Mail so that she will provoke readers. They do this for the simple reason that they want to cause a stir, and make women a figure of hate, not because they felt either of them had anything interesting or relevant to say.

Image Credits: The Daily Mail
Image Credits: The Daily Mail

3. The content of their articles is pointless.

Merely reading the headline of Daily Mail articles is enough to gather entirely the content of the article. (And usually they’re pointless anyway).

Image Credits: The Daily Mail
Image Credits: The Daily Mail

4. The articles themselves are stupid. Take a look:

Image Credits: The Daily Mail
Image Credits: The Daily Mail
Image Credits: The Daily Mail
Image Credits: The Daily Mail

And if you need any more persuasion, there is a Tumblr page dedicated to them simply for your entertainment, which can be found here.

5. Their Anti-LGBT stance.

Famously, the Daily Mail published the headline:  “Abortion hope after ‘gay genes’ findings”. Although this was published in 1993, there is little evidence that they have changed their stance since then, showing just how behind the times they are.

Image Credits: The Guardian
Image Credits: The Guardian

6. You could buy so many more entertaining, fulfilling, educating things for 60p.

Think about it, you’d learn more from the back of a snickers wrapper than you would from buying a copy of the Daily Mail.

Image Credits: Evan Amos
Image Credits: Evan Amos

7. For a ‘newspaper’ only 23 of their 81 pages come under the news category.

What else do they publish?! Who knows…

Meg Lawrence, Online Features Editor

Find Exeposé Features on Facebook and Twitter.