Shotgun seek funds for April tour

Shotgun seek funds for April tour

188
Image credit: Spring Awakening
Image credit: Spring Awakening

Shotgun Theatre have initiated a major funding drive after being selected for a prestigious student drama festival. The group’s production of Spring Awakening has been selected for the National Student Drama Festival (NSDF), which will take place in Scarborough, Yorkshire.

Only 11 shows were selected from more than 150 applicants, and Shotgun’s entry, their first in their history, will also be their first professional show. The NSDF takes place between 12-18 April, and anyone is welcome to come and watch, with tickets priced at £5.

Shotgun’s plea for funds comes as they try to raise the £12,000 they need to send their 35 cast and crew to Scarborough for the week.

In addition to the student performances, the NSDF also hosts workshops run by industry professionals such as the RSC, the Lyric Theatre, the Royal Court. Many drama schools also send talent scouts to the event to secure the brightest dramatic talent. The Festival closes with an awards ceremony, which, last year, was hosted by Matthew Kelly.

Tim Bradbeer, Shotgun Theatre Producer, commented: “I am so proud of what everyone involved in the process has achieved, and how Shotgun has gone from strength to strength this year. My hope is that our success inspires other student theatre societies to think outside the box, break the mould, and start a long tradition of Exeter companies being selected into the NSDF”.

Magda Cassidy, Shotgun President, added: “We could not be more excited to be representing Exeter University at the NSDF this year. This is an incredible achievement for Shotgun, especially as we’re only in our fourth year; the hard work, energy and passion poured into our production by the cast and crew has been truly exceptional and humbling. I am so proud of everything that Shotgun has achieved, being selected for the NSDF is the cherry on top of a fantastic year”.

Jak Curtis-Rendall, VP Participation and Campuses, told Exeposé: “To be invited to perform at the National Student Drama Festival is a huge honour for Shotgun Theatre and thoroughly well deserved. The Students’ Guild and myself are looking forward to supporting Shotgun with this project, and we obviously wish them the best of luck”.

Owen Keating, News Editor