Home News Record nominations for Teaching Awards

Record nominations for Teaching Awards

161
Image credit: University of Exeter
Image credit: University of Exeter

EXETER staff have received a national record number of nominations for the fifth annual Teaching Awards this year. This year, there have been 2601 nominations, an increase of 186 from last year’s total of 2415.

The NUS have confirmed that Exeter has received the highest number of nominations in the UK, with last year’s figure of 2415 being a previous national record.

Student Staff Liaison Committees have worked within the colleges to get as many students to nominate their lecturers and other university and Guild staff in the categories Most Supportive Member of Staff, Best Feedback Provider, Best Postgraduate Teaching Assistant, Best Supervisor, Innovative Teaching, Research Inspired Teaching, Best Lecturer and Best Employability Support. These categories were chosen after evaluation of last years awards, which also included categories like Best Subject, Best Research Community and Change Agents’ Champion.

The winners will be revealed and presented with awards and certificates at a gala ceremony on 1 May. All nominees shortlisted by the judging panel will be invited to this.

Vice Chancellor Professor Sir Steve Smith said about last year’s awards: “The Awards seem to get better and better each year, with more nominations of a higher quality. The seriousness with which they are taken by students and staff alike demonstrates the commitment to the exceptional teaching quality that is delivered at Exeter. Many congratulations to everyone involved especially the winners and runners up”.

Alex Louch, VP Academic Affairs, commented: “I am delighted with the total number of nominations submitted to the 2014 Teaching Awards that represent the fantastic quality of the academic experience here at Exeter. The Teaching Awards highlight the strong community of partnership between students and staff at Exeter and I look forward to the announcing the winners on May 1”.

Niklas Rahmel, Photographer