Five Books To Save From The Bonfire

Five Books To Save From The Bonfire

193

As we come to the end of our time as editors, its time to take the gloves off and give our true thoughts on the books we’ve been reviewing and talking about. Last week, Rory Morgan told us which ten books he’s spent all year secretly wanting to throw on a bonfire. Now, Sophie Beckett reveals five guilty reading pleasures that she’d save from being burnt…

The books on this list might not be highbrow literature. People may disagree as to their artistic value. Some of them are from genres that are often looked down on; chick lit, crime fiction, historical romance. But they all have one thing in common – they’re a very, very enjoyable read. And sometimes that’s exactly what you’re looking for.

5. The Other Boleyn Girl. Ok, so it’s not historically accurate. Not even a little bit. It’s easy to criticise historical fiction, and Philippa Gregory has certainly taken liberties with the ‘fiction’ element of the genre. But hey, who doesn’t love a bit of bodice-ripping Tudor romance? Gregory has taken our national obsession with all things Henry VIII and made a fast-paced, thoroughly enjoyable read out of it.250px-Other_Boleyn_Girl

4. Gone Girl. Last year, this was The Book That Everyone’s Talking About. This year, its a completely immersive thriller, without any arbitrarily imposed pressure to read it. Except from this article. Go on, go read it. Go read it now.cover_Gone-197x300

3. Bridget Jones’s Diary. If you’re going to read chick lit, then you have to read this (if you haven’t already). It’s quite simply one of the funniest things you will ever read. But if possible, try to avoid being in public when you do, as the sight of you snorting uncontrollably with suppressed laughter might earn you a few strange looks.Bridget_Jones_Diary_fc_

2. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. This is crime fiction at its best. It takes influences from both Scandinavian and British crime fiction and melds them into a violent, sinister and utterly gripping thriller. It’s a bit slow to start, but after the first 100 pages you’ll be hooked. And the best news? It’s part of a trilogy, so when you turn the last page this adrenaline rush of a read doesn’t have to be over.dragontatt_300

1. The Hunger Games trilogy. Yes, they’re for young adults. Yes, they’re an easy read. But they’re SO GOOD YOU WILL CRY. Believe me. I did.Hunger_games

Sophie Beckett, Online Books Editor

What are your guilty reading pleasures? Leave a comment below or write to Books at the Facebook Group or on Twitter!