List and Shout: Lewis’ Top 5 Debut Albums

1333

Hello there from your new music editors for Exeposé Online! It is the first of the month and as this is our first post, what better way to kick it off than by giving you our top 5 debut albums as part of List and Shout – our new regular feature of condensed musical love and hate! You can check out Pavel’s choices here:

5) Florence & the Machine – Lungs

In 2009, a new voice belted above the formidable sounds of standard pop divas. This was the voice of Florence Welch and the brilliant Lungs. Welch showcases her titanic vocal range on standout tracks ‘You Got the Love’ and ‘Cosmic Love’ but, most importantly, displays incredible songwriting and lyrical skills on ‘Kiss with a Fist’ and ‘Dog Days are Over’.

4) Arctic Monkeys – Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not

And here we have a regular face on top album lists! Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not is simply sublime, with more hits than I can count on my fingers. Everybody knows ‘I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor’ and ‘When the Sun Goes Down’ but what makes this album truly spectacular is the plethora of brilliant tracks that weave in and out of them, laced with Alex Turner’s timeless lyrics.

3) The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses

Before The Stone Roses it was hard to imagine a debut where every single track was individually spectacular. The album rattles through indie classics such as ‘Waterfall’ and ‘She Bangs the Drums’ before climaxing at the joyfully psychedelic ‘Fools Gold’. However, what sets The Stone Roses apart from any other album is its glorious final – ‘I am the Resurrection’ – an 8 minute long jam that stamps them firmly in the indie history books.

2) Alt-J – An Awesome Wave

In 2012 Alt-J took creativity to a dizzying height. For a debut album An Awesome Wave takes huge lyrical risks but pulls them off exceptionally. The album explores excitingly dark themes in ‘Breezeblocks’ and ‘Fitzpleasure’ with unique uses of synths and guitar tones. Alt-J manages to balance this with the dreamy ‘Matilda’ before sailing out on a high with ‘Taro’ – the musical equivalent to a Dominos Meateor Pizza.

1) Steps – Step One

So here we have it. The greatest debut album of all time – Steps’ Step One. 5, 6, 7, 8 was undisputable anthem of late 90’s school disco and the album itself has rooted itself as the highlight of bubble-gum pop (and who could forget ‘Tragedy’ – undeniably the greatest cover of all time). In my opinion, Step One as a whole is just a lyrical masterpiece… April Fools!

Lewis Norman, Online Music Editor

The music section of Exeter's independent student newspaper.