Nominations for ‘Guild Awards’ 2014 open now

153

Image credit: Exeter Guild
Image credit: Exeter Guild

Nominations for the Student Guild’s ‘Guild Awards’ 2014 opened on Monday 31 March.

The Awards, returning this June after the inaugural event last year, celebrate and reward students who have shown “outstanding commitment and dedication” towards the Guild over the academic year. Categories recognise both individual and group achievements, with Student Group of the Year celebrating a group which has consistently and substantially contributed to the student community, while Outstanding Individual Contribution recognises those individuals whose contributions to the University and to student life “have consistently gone above and beyond reasonable expectations”. Other categories include Event of the Year, Campaign of the Year, Student-Led Project of the Year, Outstanding Student Staff Member and Community Impact Award.

Nominations for each category can be submitted until Friday 2 May, and will be judged by a panel of students and Students’ Guild staff. The winners of the ten categories will be announced on Friday 6 June at the awards ceremony, an event during which students and staff meet to celebrate “the incredible students whose dedication and commitment make the Students’ Guild what it is.”

Originally established in the 2012/2013 academic year by former VP Participation & Campuses Jon Bagnall, this year’s awards will be led by Guild President Hannah Barton and VP Participation & Campuses Jak Curtis-Rendall. Hannah Barton described the Awards as “our chance to recognise and reward students who make the student experience – and the Guild experience – what they are”, emphasising that it was “important to recognise and celebrate those students who don’t just get involved, but who drive forward the student experience and leave a legacy for the future.” Jak Curtis-Rendall highlighted students’ “key role” in “widening participation in student events, representing and supporting their peers or leading others”, adding that he was “extremely excited to congratulate this year’s winners who I hope will inspire others to follow their example.”

Students wishing to find out more about the awards can click here.

Nominations opened at 9:00 on Monday 31 March. All nominations must be made by 17:00 on Friday 2 May.

Hannah Butler, News Editor

Exeposé Editor and final year English & German student, still trying to find a balance in life between rum and writing. www.hrebutler.wordpress.com