Home Arts & Lit Arts Recommend: The most dreamlike houses on earth, Microscopic drawings on sand...

Arts Recommend: The most dreamlike houses on earth, Microscopic drawings on sand grains, and more…

886

Every week we bring you our special selection of all things arty. From interesting websites to highly anticipated performances for your diary, there is something to spark all kinds of creative interest.

1. Seventeen of the most dreamlike houses on earth

Hobbit House in New Zealand Image credit: Ian Brodie via Demilked
Hobbit House in New Zealand
Image credit: Ian Brodie via Demilked

The beauty and variety of these seventeen dreamlike houses is beyond imagination. Every single one inspires awe, our particular favourites being The Nautilus House in Mexico, The Seashell House also in Mexico, and the Teahouse Tetsu in Yamanashi, Japan. See all of these incredible houses in the article here on Demilked.

2. Labyrinth drawings of interconnected rooms by Mathew Borrett.

Image credit: Mathew Borrett via Colossal.

Artist Mathew Borrett has created a series of intricate drawings of labyrinth fantasy structures. These drawings are flawless in their precision, and it is well worth taking a look at the entire set. See more here on Colossal.

3. Self-cooling brick structure made from mushrooms

Image credit: Fastcoexist.com
Image credit: Fastcoexist.com

Keeping with this Arts Recommend’s theme of architecture, we found this crazy brick structure made from mushrooms interesting.

“Made from organic material that can be turned into fertilizer, this installation will show off a radical, zero-waste building technology that could help chill down sweltering city streets…

This summer, a new kind of building will sprout amid New York City’s garden of glass and steel. Using bricks biologically engineered to grow themselves from plant waste and fungal cells, David Benjamin’s Hy-Fi will rise as a giant circular tower that creates a cool micro-climate for pedestrians in searing city heat. Bet you’ve never seen a brownstone do that before.”

Read the full article, along with more photos and a video here on fastcoexist.com.

4. Japan has the most beautiful manhole covers in the world

Image credit: S. Morita via Demilked
Image credit: S. Morita via Demilked

Art and ingenuity can be found in the most unlikely of places. Japanese photographer S.Morita has demonstrated this, traveling around Japan photographing this unusual subject matter. See many more photos of these drain covers, and find out why they may be decorated as such, here on Demilked.

5. Microscopic drawings of sandcastles on single grains of sand.

“After four years of experimentation, Photographer Vik Muniz and designer Marcelo Coelho successfully created microscopic drawings of castles on single grains of sand. Take an in-depth look into the advanced and archaic processes and inspirations behind these revolutionary micro-masterpieces” (Vimeo).

Etching Sand Castles On A Single Grain Of Sand from The Creators Project on Vimeo.

Giverny Masso and Bryony James, Online Arts Editors

Visit the University of Exeter Arts and Culture website here.