Loading…New Game

Loading…New Game

213

Clueless about video games? Interested in their growing popularity, but don’t know where to start? Then join our Online Books Editor Christy Ku in her journey from snake on her smartphone, to MMO master.

dhdhd
Everyone has played this classic on their Nokia brick phones, but now Christy has bigger fish to fry

“A gaming column?”

“Do you even know how to use a controller?”
“Of course I do. But it broke. Well, the twiddly bit stopped working. I blame Amazon.”

I admit my experience of gaming is a ‘bit’ thin, especially if playing snake while YouTube buffers doesn’t count. However, with my newfound liberation from my stereotypically strict Asian parents (during term time, at least), I’m free to catch up on a lost childhood of games.

But I’m supposed to be exiting my teenage years and becoming a proper grown up, – why do I want to get interested in gaming? I would like to say it’s because I feel games are like movies, except you’re a part of it. Because I admire the artwork and craftsmanship that goes into creating games. Because of the soundtrack and storylines. Because it’s a way to de-stress. They’re all true, but the main reason is that…

Everyone else games.

So this year, I’ll be exploring this new world and I hope you’ll join me as I navigate the basics, the jargon, classic games, new releases and developments, and those darn controllers. With a bunch of enthusiastic gamers for friends, my twitter set to receive gaming news, and my other half’s Steam account, I’m ready to start.

Christy Ku

Online Books Editor
Games and Tech Columnist

In her first instalment next week, Christy gives us her perspective on Microsoft’s recent acquisition of Mojang, the brilliant minds behind Minecraft. For more on everything games and tech, check us out on Facebook and Twitter!