Home Sport Exeter women’s squash 1s cruise past Bath

Exeter women’s squash 1s cruise past Bath

Exeter women’s 1s claimed a resounding 3-0 victory against Bath 2s in the home fixture on Wednesday to consolidate their mid-table position in BUCS Western 1A. The vital home win was only their second this season.

Exeter 1s 3

Bath 2s 0

Exeter came into the game knowing that a win was crucial for their hopes of progressing up the table which had seen them sitting in fourth after four games. They faced a side who had been beaten in all their previous six fixtures. With Bath 2s only bringing a travelling party of three, Exeter team captain Louisa Madsen was forced to sit out the tie and instead encourage; Hattie Bates, Sam Huggett and Katherine Jenson in their respective matches from the side.

The first pairing saw normally fourth ranked Hattie Bates move up into the third ranked position to face Bath’s Anna Caswell. Bates dominated the early exchanges, racing into 4-0 lead in the opening game with Caswell struggling to return well-placed serves into the corners. This continued as Bates eased her way through the rest of the first game; her opponent only registering a single point in an 11-1 win.

It was a crucial win for Exeter's 1s after a mixed start to the season. Photo Credit: Exeter Squash
It was a crucial win for Exeter’s 1s after a mixed start to the season. Photo Credit: Exeter Squash

The next game saw Bates mix up her game with some drop shots and nicely angled shots coming into play. The strategy proved effective as she claimed a bagel to round off the second game. The final game was played out in much the same vein as the previous two with albeit a slightly stiffer response from Caswell. Still though, Bates was decisive in victory, closing out the match with a score of 11-3.

The second match-up paired Exeter’s Sam Huggett against Bath’s Pippa Heath. While the play was more competitive this time round, Huggett always appeared to hold the upper hand. The rallies were long in what proved an entertaining encounter. Huggett comfortably won the first game 11-4, keeping her opponent pinned against the side walls.

The next game seemed crucial in deciding the fate of the match. Again, Exeter’s Huggett was dominant on serve and took the second 11-4. Victory now appeared only a formality. However, at 5-5 it could have turned either way but Huggett held her nerve, reeling off six points to claim victory.

The final tie saw Exeter Women’s number one ranked player Katherine Jenson face Bath 2s Hanna-Stina Sont. In contrast to the previous ties, the opening set was a tightly-contested affair with Jenson being pegged back from 10-3 up to 10-6. However, once she had taken the first game with a low powerful forehand, Johnson regained her composure with a ruthless display in the second. Her opponent failed to record a single point in an 11-0 defeat. Things did not get much better for Bath’s Sont again as she was comfortably dispatched in the third with an 11-3 victory in favour of the home side.

Jenson’s performance capped off a brilliant all-round display from Exeter Women’s squash team. Speaking after the game, team captain Louisa Madsen said she was delighted with the result; “We had a really good game, with all the girls playing their best. Im especally proud of Harriet and Sam whom both played a string higher then they usually do, and handled it without a problem. Equally, well done to Kathrine for keeping her head cool throughout her game, and showing exceptional good control from the T ”. No doubt tougher tests are ahead but this victory will be a massive confidence-booster for a side looking to push their way higher up the table.

The Green Army are back in action this week, once again at home to Bath but this time they face the top of the table Bath 1s.

Seb Biggam-Sports Team