Home News Penryn’s student miners are frontrunners in international competition

Penryn’s student miners are frontrunners in international competition

Students from the Camborne School of Mines are celebrating for the second time this year, following success in a recent international mining competition.

Two teams from the mining school, located at the University of Exeter’s Penryn Campus, were amongst the top achievers in Canada’s National Mining Competition, finishing amongst the leaders with second and fourth places.

The competition, held in Saskatchewan, brought CSM students up against 11 other higher education institutions from India, Canada, Germany and the USA in the challenging event, which involved mineral asset evaluations and the preparation and delivery of a business proposal to a board of industry professionals.

Speaking after the event, first-year Mining Engineer and team organizer Mark Whitfield said: “This was the first time that CSM has competed at this competition, which put us at a slight disadvantage compared to most of the other teams, but it went fantastically well.

“Most if not all of the teams put together preliminary proposals that were described as ‘exceptional’, so to finish second and fourth was a real achievement,” he added.

This is the second time this year that the mining school has celebrated achievement, having secured a gold at the International Mining Games earlier this year.

Congratulating the teams on their further success, Professor Ken Evans, Dean of the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences said: “Once again students from CSM have shown that they are amongst the very best in the world and I am delighted for their success.”

“Competitions such as this allow students not just to demonstrate their own exceptional talents, but also enhance the global reputation of the School of Mines, the University of Exeter and everyone involved in their journey as an undergraduate.”

Having achieved so highly in their first time competing, CSM are already making plans to return next year.

Fiona Potigny, News Team